News Roundup #002 includes the brand new Fortnite Battle Royale “Chug Jug” patch, Dev Tracker on issues including server downtime, the latest Featured Item Store skins & more.
Patch 3.2.0 was deployed on Thursday and added a new healing consumable: the Chug Jug. The new legendary-rarity item will restore maximum health and shields when consumed. The only downside to this powerful item is its 15 second casting time, which can seem like an eternity in heated fights.
The other main addition is the auto-run feature. PC players can activate auto-run by pressing ‘=’ and ‘NumLock’ while console users can trigger it by double-clicking left stick.
The patch brings in various bug fixes and game improvements too. Read the full patch notes right here.
– Server Downtime
The deployment of the patch was met with technical difficulties, which resulted in the servers being down for most of Thursday. iFlak explained the reasons behind the lengthy downtime:
“Hello everyone, as I’m sure you’re painfully aware, our servers are still offline. The explanation is as follows.
“During our downtime to upgrade to 2.3, we were performing recommended tasks to resolve a lingering database issue. Those tasks ended up causing the database to go into a bad state. After significant consideration, we decided our best option was to restore from a backup at the moment we took the servers down for the patch. Our first restore failed (due to issues unrelated with the quality of the backup) and we’re working on a second attempt at the restore. We’re on it and it will be up as soon as humanly possible.”
While we can’t give you an ETA when the servers will be back, we can tell you that we will make this right in regards to any time you have lost today. We are sorry for the downtime. We hope to get you back to playing soon.”
– Known Bugs V.2.3.0
A few bugs slipped into yesterday’s patch and Epic are already on it. Boomer stated on the official forums:
“Whoops! Some bugs were introduced with this weeks patch. We’re aware of these and working hard towards a fix. We will update everyone once we have more information on when that fix is coming.
- Stuck in ADS
- Visual problems with building selector UI
- Example: Building selector shows you have stairs selected, but you build walls.
- Reloading issues
- Key binding issues for AZERTY/FR Keyboards – we deployed a minor PC-only patch on the 01.26 at 3:30 am EST.”
– NA West & East Coast Servers
MrPopoTFS discussed recent changes to servers in North America. Players in that region will now be automatically rerouted to the most optimal region:
“With the launch of 2.3.0, we will be making some changes to our Server Regions in North America. Wondering what that means and how it affects you? Take a look at our mini-FAQ below:
- North America will be split into: NA East + NA West.
- NA East servers are located in: Virginia and Ohio (this is currently NA today).
- NA West servers are located in: Northern California and Oregon (new).
- Many players on west coast U.S. + Canada, along with parts of Mexico, will have ping improvement ranging from minor to major (ping cut in half in some cases).
- You should auto-route to the most optimal region, but we recommend double checking your settings once 2.3.0 is live.
- Playing with friends in other regions is still 100% seamless. You just party up as normal and the Party Leader’s region will determine the region for the match.
- Why are there now two datacenters per region?:
- Matches are currently randomly distributed between them (Virginia/Ohio for NA East for example).
- Long-term we are looking to make this more intelligent and seamlessly group players into the best possible experience.
- The datacenters within each region have very small ping variance for majority of players.
- We need to run in multiple datacenters to support player counts and have redundancy in the case of datacenter-specific issues.”
– Customer Support
Epic Games are not satisfied with their current level of customer support and are looking into fixing this issue. DanDaDaDanDan explained the following on Reddit:
“The key issues are:
- lack of timely response
- responses that are not in line with our company values
- inconsistent level of quality
Internally, our failures were caused by several factors:
- Staffing of Epic’s customer support hasn’t kept up with growth of the player base. We failed to anticipate and quickly react to growth.
- We didn’t properly communicate core values and our overall philosophy to the Customer Support team, leaving agents without clear guidance. This was compounded by us not having a great internal feedback loop to process issues.
- We focused on average response time when we should have also been looking at outliers.
- We used customer service as a fallback safety net instead of fixing or improving root causes. E.g. issues with account linking is something we need to improve on the development / UX side.
We are in the process of addressing these issues with a goal of providing excellent player support on two fronts:
- First response time in under 8 hours
- Positive and thoughtful resolutions on the first interaction
This will take time to accomplish but we are committed to delivering the level of service you deserve.
Please reach out if you were unhappy with a previous support ticket resolution and we will work to make it right! Also feel free to reach out to me at email@example.com to make me aware of outliers and areas we need to improve. I can’t promise that I’m going to respond to all emails, but I will definitely read them all.”
Featured Item Shop – 25/01/18
– Red Knight (Outfit – 2,000 V-Bucks)
– Bottom Feeder (Pickaxe – 1,500 V-Bucks)
Images provided by fnbr.co
Clip of the Day
Today’s clip features Myth in an intense high level fight with Daequan.
Follow Loot Lake:
[button link=”https://www.twitter.com/LootLakeBR” color=”teal” window=”yes”]Twitter[/button] [button link=”https://discord.gg/pfn5CBj” color=”purple” window=”yes”]Discord[/button] [button link=”https://www.fb.com/LootLakeBR” window=”yes”]Facebook[/button]